Tuesday 1 October 2013

B. D. Somani MUN 2013


On Friday, a group of first year MUWCI students travelled to Mumbai for the B. D. Somani MUN 2013 conference. Apart from the MUN conference itself, for many of us it was our first time in the city (excluding landing at the airport, which doesn't count).
It was a great experience, and this post will be about our weekend :)

MUN (Model United Nations) is one of the many extra-curricular activities offered at MUWCI. 
Let me briefly explain the concept.
MUN consists of a stimulation of UN conferences, as students represent various countries (and their particular policies) in different councils. A particular topic of discussion is proposed beforehand, and delegates are expected to prepare and research prior to the conference. There is then debating, with the aim of coming up with a resolution to the issue.

This MUN was hosted by an international school in Mumbai, and lasted through three full days of conference. (the link: http://www.bdsmun2013.com/)
Being the first MUN I have attended, I don't have a frame of reference to compare with. But my personal experience was exciting and interesting, not just during the conference, but also meeting and spending time with the other delegates from Mumbai.


Then, of course, there's Mumbai itself!

As I said, this was for many of us our first time in what is India's largest city. Unfortunately, as the conference took up most of our time, we didn't have a whole lot left to explore the place. 
However, from where we did go, and what we did manage to see, I know that personally I can't wait to return!

Mumbai is unlike any place I have ever set foot in before. It isn't just physically miles away from my life in Lyon, but in all other aspects as well. The colours, the markets, the streets, the sea... all this produced for me an atmosphere like no other.

The wonderful family that hosted us said: 'Mumbai is somewhere that really gets under your skin', and honestly, I couldn't agree more!

I am hoping to go back in November, over our Diwali break :)

But for now, I have a hundred other things to be thinking about, so I'll leave it there for this time!
Thank you so much for reading,

Maria xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment