Saturday 20 April 2013

So... why?

It has now been three weeks since I found out I am going to Mahindra College, and I'm still in  disbelief. It's all so exciting! I've been in contact with several current and future students, all from different backgrounds, and am really looking forward to meeting them in person.

However, I was surprised how many times over the past three weeks I found myself not being able to easily answer when asked...why? 

Why do I want to fly half way around the world, live away from home, aged only sixteen, to go to some school? Why India of all places? Why not just stay here and continue, just as planned?
I guess for me, it has always been obvious. I mean, sometimes I feel like replying with: why not?

The truth is, I can understand why some would think it strange- especially as it means an extra year of school for me. In this post, I hope to briefly clarify why the hell I'm going to MUWCI for the next two years!
WARNING: This could take a while...

First of all, take a look at this:








Yes, they're all off Google images. But they're so beautiful, credit to whoever's photos they are!

As you can see, it's spectacular.

But apart from these amazing surroundings, Mahindra College offers a unique opportunity to play an active role in the local community, work in biodiversity and conservation, participate in debates, MUN, discussions of global issues and numerous other activities including sports, theatre, camping, fire service, travel weekends and the infamous project weeks.
Of course, this information is only what I've found on websites and talking to current students. And so far, the list of opportunities is far too long to write in full!

Perhaps most importantly of all, attending Mahindra means being part of the UWC movement as a whole.
The UWC movement's mission statement is: to use education as a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future. It promotes intercultural understanding and the development of genuine concern for others, founded on shared life experiences. Community interaction is placed at the heart of college life, and Mahindra UWC of India was founded in order to encourage an exchange between UWC students and nearby villages, to help increase prosperity and improve opportunities for local children.

And that in itself is something I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to be part of.
In just three weeks, I have been in contact with some amazing young people from every corner of the globe- and this is just a taster.

If I was to go into any more detail about why I'm going to India, I'd be writing for days. But hopefully I've been able to explain a little further.

Sorry for the (very) long post,
Thanks for reading! If you've made it this far...

Maria xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment