Monday 24 February 2014

Theatre Season '14

''I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell truths. I tell what ought to be truth.''
~Blanche Dubois, A Streetcar Named Desire

Just when I thought this place couldn't get any crazier, funnier, any more full of ridiculously talented weirdos. 
Then last night, I was sat in a the cafeteria, transformed into a french bar, laughing helplessly at a reunion between Picasso, Einstein, Elvis and some random guy in orange trousers and rainbow braces. This was the last of some thirteen performances that have taken place over the last month, each one unique, each one memorable for one reason or another.

As theatre season draws to a close, I think now is a good time to show exactly what has been going on. Theatre season at MUWCI takes place over the month of February, and is comprised of numerous plays of every genre, performed, produced and directed by students and faculty alike. 
Many take part, as actors, directors, producers, costume designers, lights and sound operators, make up artists, set designers, stage managers...
The whole thing is tiring, tedious, and time-consuming, but, at least in my experience, it's so worth it, for all the laughs along the way, and the feeling of 'yes, we did it', after it's all over.

What's beautiful about theatre season, is that you don't have to know how to act or sing well. You don't have to have any experience, or any intention to act ever again. But there's something for everyone who wants to give it a go. And I for one was blown away by the performances of some people whom I had never expected could act, sing or make us all laugh so much.

These are some of the promotional posters for the plays, so you can see for yourself the variety of performances. Everything from comedies, to musicals, to Moliere, to post-modernist, and the list goes on.

I think we'll all miss theatre season, with the crazy last minute hunt for costumes, the faulty sound systems and the pre-show nerves. Well... until next year!

For now, beak a leg,

Hugs,

Maria xXx












No comments:

Post a Comment